Thursday, March 4, 2010

Introducing Thing One and Thing Two

"In this box are two things
I will show to you now.
You will like these two things,"
Said the cat with a bow.
"I will pick up the hook.
You will see something new.
Two things. And I call them
Thing One and Thing Two."
         -- Dr. Seuss, "The Cat in the Hat"

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday earlier this week, I would like to introduce you to my children, whom I affectionately address as Thing One and Thing Two on a regular basis.


As you can see, they are winsome and sweet,
with large brains in their heads and small shoes on their feet.
They walk around covered in colorful clothes,
and often in paint from their hair to their toes.

Thing One (in the blue shirt) is going on six;
she homeschools and her favorite class is physics,
with math and astronomy both tied for second.
Her interests and talents are unique, so we reckoned

our town's Kindy classrooms might not be so nifty
for a kid who's been blessed with an IQ that's gifty.
She learns best in motion, has high energy,
and Thing One's also gifted with mild OCD.

Thing Two (in the orange shirt) is recently two,
and at times can be terrible, yes it is true.
Like her big sister, she's crafty and wise,
with mischievous giggly sparks in her eyes.

Where Thing One is savvy with science and sums,
Thing Two loves to dance and to bang on the drums.
She'll size you right up and she'll give you what-for,
then she'll make you laugh, then she'll do it some more.

Thing Two is a feeler; Thing One is a thinker.
Thing One is quite stubborn; Thing Two's just a stinker.
And both Things are beautiful, both of them smart,
both into sports, into music and art.

They both love to laugh, and to help and to know,
and when they are happy they both nearly glow.
To some they are friends and to others they're nieces;
to me they are daughters, and I love them to pieces!

4 comments:

  1. I adore this post Lauren!!! You have such a gift for phrasing:)
    Hugs to you and the girlies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is simply awesome...you are great.
    I felt like I was reading another Suess book!
    And your Things are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I had a LOT of fun writing this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Lauren! and so are your girls. I love that you have so much energy for creativity even though your "things" have a ton of it, and run you ragged. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete